Server security services stop the worst from happening. Hackers who get into a single user’s systems may find something worth stealing, but chances are there won’t be much to gain.
It’s the servers — with their databases, confidential information, and complete enterprise user files — where bad guys cause the most havoc. Gain access to a server, and you can lock all enterprise systems and hold them for ransom.
Read more: Using Zero Trust Security to Protect Applications and Databases
That’s why server security is so important. And with servers increasingly going virtual, it is no surprise that many of the tools used to protect servers are now available either virtually or via a managed service. Here are some of the top server security services, in no particular order.
The Best Server Security Services
Juniper Networks SRX Firewall
Juniper Networks offers physical, virtual, and container firewalls. Its SRX firewalls scale all the way from small business deployments to massive data center and service provider environments. The SRX5400, SRX5600, and SRX5800 are part of the Juniper Connected Security framework, which is built to protect servers, users, applications, and infrastructure from advanced threats. SRX 5000 series units are powered by the Junos OS, provide six nines reliability and availability, as well as scalability and services integration.
- Carrier-grade, next-generation firewall and advanced security services
- Integrated threat intelligence services via Juniper Networks Advanced Threat Prevention
- Distributed security policy management via Junos Space Security Director
- Each service gateway can support near linear scalability
- Connectivity options include 1GbE, 10GbE, 40GbE, and 100GbE interfaces
Perception Point’s incident response software, X-Ray, is a dashboard and SOC operations tool. It combines machine learning algorithms, automated processes, human-driven expert analysis, and interaction between cyber analysts and an enterprise SOC team. Every incident is analyzed and then receives an appropriate and swift response. X-Ray is included as part of a standard SaaS threat prevention service and operated through browsers.
- X-Ray helps IT and server managers understand every incident in detail
- Conduct forensics and gain insights into attacks and trends
- Perception Point’s Incident Response Team is composed of skilled cyber analysts
- Prevents as many known threats as possible from reaching end users and servers
- Response service is provided to all customers at no additional cost on a 24/7 basis
Syxsense Active Secure
Syxsense Active Secure is a managed service that offers vulnerability scanning, server and endpoint patch management, plus endpoint security. It enables IT to prevent cyberattacks by scanning authorization issues, security implementation, and antivirus status.
- The Syxsense vulnerability scanner is automated and repeatable
- Get accurate data from thousands of devices in under 10 seconds
- Instantly detect running .exes, malware, or viruses and eliminate them
- Security team keeps the environment fully protected around the clock
- Insights into OS misconfigurations and compliance violations reduce attack surface
- Security scanning and patch management are in one console
- Scan for software vulnerabilities, security compliance violations, and brute force attacks
DH2i’s DxOdyssey is a Software Defined Perimeter (SDP) solution that enables secure, available, per-application connectivity between remote users, edge devices, sites, servers, and clouds. DxOdyssey uses Express Micro-Tunnel technology for discreet and private connectivity between distributed environments. This software can be installed on any Windows or Linux server in seconds to achieve a Zero Trust network architecture without the costs and complexities of VPNs, SD-WANs, or direct links.
- Enables secure, private connectivity between edge devices, the datacenter, and cloud
- Creates a Zero Trust network architecture
- Achieves data privacy with an intelligent matchmaking service
- Provides end-to-end IoT security when combined with Azure SQL Edge
- Transports TCP over UDP for enhanced security and performance
- No ACL or firewall rules to maintain
Egnyte goes beyond cloud data encryption to offer external and internal threat protection, compliance proof and audit, remote work protection, controlled sharing and workflows, cloud migration, user access, and data security. IT managers using Egnyte for enterprise file sharing can use it to protect the data being passed to and from on-premises servers.
- Identity-aware, controlled access and sharing
- Access files via secure web, desktop, and mobile apps, as well as third-party cloud services
- Co-edit Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files using the respective desktop apps
- Share files while monitoring and controlling future downstream data use or resharing
- Manage access to unstructured data based on role, location, and security tags
- Granular, person-level folder and file permissions
- Automatically move large files to the edge for better performance
- Retain and delete files according to global policies
- Identify and purge redundant or obsolete data with minimal admin intervention
- Restore files and versions mistakenly deleted by end users
- Automated ransomware detection and workflows
Microsoft Azure Site Recovery
Microsoft Azure Site Recovery is a good option for x86 server environments. You can set up Azure Site Recovery by replicating an Azure VM to a different Azure region directly from the Azure portal. As an integrated offering, Site Recovery is automatically updated with new Azure features.
- Minimize recovery issues by sequencing the order of multi-tier applications running on virtual machines
- Ensure compliance by testing DR plans without impacting production
- Automatic recovery from on-premises to Azure, or from Azure to another Azure region
- Comply with industry regulations such as ISO 27001 by enabling Site Recovery
- Scale coverage to as many business-critical applications as needed
- Replicates workloads running on virtual and physical machines from a primary site to a secondary location
Cloudflare Magic WAN
IT managers looking for a simple way to make server data available over a larger area can use Cloudflare Magic WAN to replace legacy WAN architectures. Cloudflare’s network provides global connectivity, cloud-based security, performance, and control through one interface. It securely connects any traffic source including data centers, servers, offices, devices, and cloud properties to Cloudflare’s network.
- Partnerships with network on-ramp providers including VMware and Aruba, as well as data center providers like Digital Realty, CoreSite, and EdgeConneX
- Magic WAN configuration lives on every server within data centers at Cloudflare’s edge
- Service available at more than 200 cities around the world
- Broad geographical distribution of edge sites
- Use whatever hardware you have to connect to Cloudflare
Amazon Cloud Storage
Amazon Web Services (AWS) offers a range of services to store, access, govern, and analyze. This includes object storage, file storage, and block storage services, backup, and data migration options. For example, Amazon EFS is the NAS offering, FSx is a managed filesystem for Windows and Lustre, and S3 Glacier is a long-term archive. IT managers use these services to offload data from enterprise servers and storage arrays onto the cloud.
- Amazon S3 is an object storage service to organize data and configure access controls
- Amazon EFS, a serverless file system, offers four storage classes and scales to petabytes
- Amazon FSx for Windows File Server provides managed file storage that is accessible over the Server Message Block (SMB) protocol
- Amazon EBS is a block-storage service designed for use with Amazon EC2 for throughput and transaction intensive workloads at scale
- There are six different volume types for EBS to balance price and performance
- Single-digit-millisecond latency for high-performance database workloads
- EBS volumes are replicated within an Availability Zone
NordVPN Teams is the enterprise VPN arm of NordVPN. Each organization gets dedicated VPN servers on premises and a dedicated IP address for every VPN account. Third-party authentication is available via Okta, GSuite, Sami, Azure AD, and OneLogin. It can deal with Windows, Android, Mac, Linux and iOS clients.
- A network spanning thousands of servers in dozens of countries
- AES 256-bit encryption
- If a connection drops for even a second, the kill switch cuts off all internet traffic on the device
- Third-party logins from Azure AD, Google, and Okta can be used
The Akamai Intelligent Platform is a global cloud network for accelerating and securing web content and web application delivery. Its cloud architecture spans more than 160,000 servers in over 95 countries. Enterprises can utilize this network to offload vast amounts of data to the cloud and give users far faster content provision.
- Akamai delivers from 15% to 30% of total global internet traffic
- Real-time insight into the latest network security events
- Deep visibility into network traffic and performance
- Accelerates the delivery of web content and applications to any type of connected device
- Detect and thwart threats such as SQL injection, cross-site scripting, and DDoS
The Cynet Incident Response Service includes deployment of the Cynet 360 agent to gain visibility across the environment — including all servers, hosts, files, networks, and users. It is managed by a team of incident responders to resolve the problem and get the business restored back to normal.
- A 24/7 security team acts as an extended team for the organization
- Cynet360 can be used post-resolution to protect systems against future attacks
- The Cynet360 agent can be deployed to over 5,000 endpoints within an hour
- Cynet360 provides visibility beyond the endpoint for automated incident response
- Cynet Prevention & Detection platform leverages Cynet Sensor Fusion to provide integrated antivirus, endpoint detection and response, network analytics, and user behavioral analytics
Managed security by Avertium offers a unifying zero trust, EDM, and SIEM approach. In addition, it offers the discipline and best practice framework needed to establish a resilient security posture. It uses best-in-class technologies from the likes of LogRhythm, Splunk, KnowBe4, Digital Defense, Sophos, Fortinet, and Carbon Black.
- Extended detection and response (XDR) gives visibility into data across networks, clouds, endpoints, and applications
- Experts at the Avertium CyberOps Centers of Excellence collect and correlate data across data sources such as email, servers, networks, cloud, applications, endpoints, and IoT sensors
- Customized 3-year security roadmap, as well as weekly and quarterly reports
Sungard Availability Services (Sungard AS) Cloud Recovery product suite delivers a fully managed, financial penalty-backed RTO service level agreement (SLA) for physical, virtual, and IBM iSeries server platforms. The service includes design, deployment, maintenance, updates, testing, and recovery execution.
- Three tiers of validated RTO SLA to align RTOs to business requirements
- Tiered RTO SLA paired with DRVerify Automated Testing helps customers achieve optimal DR solution
- Platform support including physical x86 servers and virtual machines, as well as IBM i Servers