Learn Windows XP Professional: Troubleshooting TCP/IP - Part 2 (Page 4) Page 4
[NOTES FROM THE FIELD] - Microsoft's implementation of TCP/IP includes the RSH client software but not the RSH service. If a user on a computer running in a Windows domain tries to use RSH to run a command on a remote UNIX server that is running the RSH daemon, the domain controller will be required by the RSH client in order to resolve the username of the user.
REXEC - REXEC runs commands on remote hosts running the REXEC service and authenticates the user name on the remote host before executing the specified command.
REXEC host [-l username] [-n] command
- host - Specifies the remote host on which to run command.
- -l username - Specifies the user name on the remote host.
- -n - Redirects the input of REXEC to NULL.
- command - Specifies the command to run.
FINGER - FINGER is a TCP/IP utility used for viewing information about a user on a system running the finger service.
Typing the command
email@example.com displays information about
user Jason on a server called windowsxp.2000trainers.com.
[-l] [user]@host [...]
- -l - Displays information in long list format.
- user - Specifies the user you want information about. Omit the user parameter to display information about all users on the specified host.
- @host - Specifies the server on the remote system whose users you want information about.
[NOTES FROM THE FIELD] -
Microsoft's implementation of TCP/IP includes the
FINGER client software but not the FINGER service. You are
able to run the FINGER client on a machine running a Windows
operating system that is connected to the Internet in order
to obtain results from a remote UNIX server running the
FINGER daemon as a FINGER gateway.
That's a wrap for this week. Be sure to check back in next week for the next article in this series.
In the meantime, best of luck in your studies and please feel free to contact me with any questions on my column and remember,
"I still yet have to figure out why they just don't make mouse-flavored cat food."
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...