- 1 HP Introduces Pay-per-Use Pricing for Superdome Servers
- 2 HP Airs Svelte, Power Efficient ProLiant Server
- 3 IBM Jazzes Up Business Integration Software
- 4 IBM Jazzes Up Business Integration Software
- 5 IBM Jazzes Up Business Integration Software
- 6 HP Utility Data Center Gets a Boost from Cisco
- 7 HP Utility Data Center Gets a Boost from Cisco
- 8 IBM Trots Out SMB Software
- 9 IBM Adds New Storage Disk, Drive Systems
- 10 IBM Adds New Storage Disk, Drive Systems
- 11 IBM, United Devices Grid To Seek Cure For Smallpox
- 12 IBM, Siebel Broaden Relationship
- 13 IBM, Siebel Broaden Relationship
- 14 IBM Launches Commercial Grid Offerings
- 15 IBM Launches Commercial Grid Offerings
- 16 HP Sharpens Blade Portfolio
- 17 HP Sharpens Blade Portfolio
- 18 Dell Moves into Electronic Cash Register Market
HP Poaches MTV Deal from IBM
Thursday said it has beaten out IBMand other vendors in a deal to provide MTV Networks with a variety of new servers and storage products.
MTV Networks will pay several million dollars for what the company calls "a powerful and scalable server platform to host its new advertising sales system." The new system will include multiple HP UNIX servers and storage products, along with consulting and support from HP Services. HP moves to raise its profile in the media industry with servers and storage products for the music network.
Some essential software will be provided by HP-MTV partner Management Sciences Associates, which will contribute to its new ad-sales hardware-software process, including program scheduling, order management, traffic and billing, all of which may improve MTV's prompt collection of revenues. The system will serve ads for MTV, MTV2, VH1, Nickelodeon, Nick-at-Nite, TV Land, CMT and TNN.
"It's a good win for HP, not only because of the systems that MTV will use, but because of the completeness of the contract," said John Madden, senior analyst for Summit Strategies, a Boston-based consultancy. "There are strong server, storage, clustering and HP Services elements here -- exactly the kind of deal that HP wants to raise its competitive profile against IBM and IBM Global Services. IBM has made headlines with some mega-outsourcing deals lately, so deals like this help HP show it can still provide alternatives to IBM and others that customers are interested in,"
HP was quick to point out its victory over IBM for the MTV Networks contract. In a press release, HP said "the solution marks a significant HP win over IBM and includes multiple 16-way HP rp8400 servers running on PA-8700+ processors on HP-UX 11i, HP StorageWorks virtual arrays, HP MC/Serviceguard clustering software and consulting and support from HP Services."
The HP-MTV deal also points to HP's Entertainment and Media organization, which is attempting to garner other high-profile contracts. In one of its most recent advertising campaigns, HP features Shrek to highlight the company's relationship with Dreamworks.
Other media customers of HP include, Blue Sky Studios, The Walt Disney Company, Walt Disney Feature Animation, Walt Disney Internet Group, Regal Cinemas Corp., and the Sundance Film Institute.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...