Improving mod_perl Driven Site's Performance -- Part II: Benchmarking Applications Page 3
Download the authoritative guide: Data Center Guide: Optimizing Your Data Center Strategy
Download the authoritative guide: Cloud Computing: Using the Cloud for Competitive AdvantageThe timeout option defines the number of seconds that the client is willing to wait to hear back from the server. If this timeout expires, the tool considers the corresponding call to have failed. Note that with a total of 27,000 connections and a rate of 150 per second, the total test duration will be approximately 180 seconds (27,000/150), independently of what load the server can actually sustain. Here is a result that one might get:
Total: connections 27000 requests 26701 replies 26701 test-duration 179.996 sConnection rate: 150.0 conn/s (6.7 ms/conn, <=47 concurrent connections) Connection time [ms]: min 1.1 avg 5.0 max 315.0 median 2.5 stddev 13.0 Connection time [ms]: connect 0.3Request rate: 148.3 req/s (6.7 ms/req) Request size [B]: 72.0Reply rate [replies/s]: min 139.8 avg 148.3 max 150.3 stddev 2.7 (36 samples) Reply time [ms]: response 4.6 transfer 0.0 Reply size [B]: header 222.0 content 1024.0 footer 0.0 (total 1246.0) Reply status: 1xx=0 2xx=26701 3xx=0 4xx=0 5xx=0CPU time [s]: user 55.31 system 124.41 (user 30.7% system 69.1% total 99.8%) Net I/O: 190.9 KB/s (1.6*10^6 bps)Errors: total 299 client-timo 299 socket-timo 0 connrefused 0 connreset 0 Errors: fd-unavail 0 addrunavail 0 ftab-full 0 other 0
http_loadis yet another utility that does webserver load testing. It can simulate 33.6 modem connection (-throttle) and allows you to provide a file with a list of URLs, which we be fetched randomly. You can specify how many parallel connections to run using the -parallel N option, or you can specify the number of requests to generate per second with -rate N option. Finally you can tell the utility when to stop by specifying either the test time length (-seconds N) or the total number of fetches (-fetches N).
A sample run with the file urls including:http://www.example.com/foo/ http://www.example.com/bar/
We ask to generate three requests per second and run for only two seconds. Here is the generated output:% ./http_load -rate 3 -seconds 2 urls
http://www.example.com/foo/: check-connect SUCCEEDED, ignoring http://www.example.com/bar/: check-connect SUCCEEDED, ignoring http://www.example.com/bar/: check-connect SUCCEEDED, ignoring http://www.example.com/bar/: check-connect SUCCEEDED, ignoring http://www.example.com/foo/: check-connect SUCCEEDED, ignoring 5 fetches, 3 max parallel, 96870 bytes, in 2.00258 seconds 19374 mean bytes/connection 2.49678 fetches/sec, 48372.7 bytes/sec msecs/connect: 1.805 mean, 5.24 max, 0.79 min msecs/first-response: 291.289 mean, 560.338 max, 34.349 min
So you can see that it has reported 2.5 requests per second. Of course for the real test you will want to load the server heavily and run the test for a longer time to get more reliable results.
Note that when you provide a file with a list of URLs make sure that you don't have empty lines in it. If you do -- the utility won't work complaining:./http_load: unknown protocol -
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...