Clarifying SMS 2.0 Terminology
Download the authoritative guide: Data Center Guide: Optimizing Your Data Center Strategy
Download the authoritative guide: Cloud Computing: Using the Cloud for Competitive AdvantageChristopher Rice
While moving through the world of software packaging, we hear many terms, used and abused, thrown around with little or no regard for their intended meaning. By now, we have lost the meaning of many of these terms and must here them in the context of a phrase to ascertain their true meaning.While moving through the world of software packaging, we hear many terms, used and abused, thrown around with little or no regard for their intended meaning. By now, we have lost the meaning of many of these terms and must here them in the context of a phrase to ascertain their true meaning.
Examples of this are words like "package". What does this mean any more? Is it the packing that wraps the CD from the 3rd party vendor? Is it a software installation? Is it a combination of files and configurations for remote installation? Who really knows any more.
To clear this up, here are the definitions for a couple of these confusing terms as they pertain to software distribution in SMS 2.0 as defined in the Microsoft Training Kit: (Keep in mind that these definitions will change with environments, products, or discussion arenas.)
1. Collections: Provide groups of resources for software installations, updates, and reconfigurations.
2. Package: Provides a file or files to be distributed.
3. Program: Provides a command line or command lines that will run a package installation. This is contained in a package (see number 2).
4. Advertisement: Provides a combination of a collection, a package, and a program in order to distribute software to client computers.
5. SMS Installer: The software provided with SMS that assists in the creation of scripting and software installation configurations.
Hopefully these will help you all out.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...