Troubleshooting with the SMS Info Gatherer
Download the authoritative guide: Data Center Guide: Optimizing Your Data Center Strategy
Download the authoritative guide: Cloud Computing: Using the Cloud for Competitive Advantageby Dana Daugherty
Info Gatherer (SMS20info.exe) from the SMS 2.0 Support Tools can give you a wealth of troubleshooting information in a concise package. In this article I'll overview using this tool on clients and servers.Info Gatherer from the SMS 2.0 Support Tools can provide Microsoft System Management Server support engineers with a wealth of troubleshooting information. In this article Dana Daugherty overviews using the tool on clients and servers.
Use the Info Gatherer tool to automatically collect comprehensive information about your SMS site and your SMS site server. The utility copies this information to c:\SMSINFO_<SiteCode> if run on the site server and c:\SMSINFO_<Machine Name> if run on a workstation. This utility is designed to provide a package of troubleshooting information to a Microsoft System Management Server support engineer.
SMS 2.0 Info Gatherer collects information about your SMS 2.0 site and site server by:
- Creating the SMSINFO_<SiteCode> directory on the root of the C drive of the computer on which it is running. All information gathered from the site server is placed in the root of this directory.
- Copying the Install.log.
- Copying the Install.map.
- Copying WINMSD output to MSDRPT_Server Name.txt.
- Copying the SMS site registry hive to RegDump.txt.
- Creating the SMS\Bin\ directory summary file, SMSbin.txt.
- Creating the SMS\Inboxes\Clicomp.src directory summary file, SMSClicompsrc.txt.
- Creating the SMS\Inboxes\ Offerinf.box directory summary file, SMSOfferinfbox.txt.
- Stopping the WMI service on the site server. This service is required to reliably copy the provider log file.
- Copying all logs from \SMS\Logs to the logs directory created in the root of the SMSINFO_<SiteCode> directory.
- Starting WMI on the site server.
Using Info Gatherer (SMS20info.exe)
First, download the SMS Info Gatherer if you don't already have it.
To Start Info Gatherer
- Run SMS20info.exe from a local or mapped network drive.
Note the following:
- You cannot run SMS2info.exe from a UNC path.
- The current logged-on user needs read and write access to the local or mapped network drive and to the root of the C: drive of the computer running the tool.
- You must provide the following information:
- Name of the target site server or client
- Site code for the specified site server
- Drive letter to temporarily map to the site server's
Note: The logged-on user needs administrative rights to the targeted site server for this to succeed.
- The operating system that the site server is running, for example, Microsoft Windows 2000 or Windows NT 4.0
- The tool will prompt you to verify the information you specified. Depending on the size of the log files and LAN traffic to the site server, this operation could take from a few seconds to several hours.
- Upon successful completion, the tool will indicate that the information has been saved to C:\SMSINFO_<SiteCode> of the local system.
- Compress the C:\SMSINFO_<SiteCode> directory (using a tool such as PKZip) and include it with a bug submission. This will enable the Microsoft Systems Management Server team to begin investigating the issue.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...