Using Cliutils to Control SMS Client Components
Have you ever wanted to just start one SMS client thread, like CCIM for example, from a command-line? This article will cover the use of Cliutils to accomplish this and more.Have you ever wanted to just start one SMS client thread, like CCIM for example, from a command-line? This article from Dana Daugherty will cover the use of Cliutils to accomplish this and more. By calling it with the proper parameters you can more effectively troubleshoot SMS client problems.
Cliutils.exe is a command line executable included with the SMS 2.0 resource kit. By calling it with the proper parameters you can more effectively troubleshoot SMS client problems. You must first copy Cliutils.exe to the %win%\ms\sms\core\bin directory. You can then create scripts or batch files to automate it a bit.
"Real World" Application
Example 1: I used this utility the other day to troubleshoot a software inventory problem. On several of my Win 9x machines Sinv32.exe was returning this error, "Can't find Clibase.dll or any of it's components. It may be missing or corrupt." Eventually, I determined that I needed to run deSinv.32 to de-install the software inventory agent. By running CCIM immediately after the uninstall, the new software inventory agent was installed much faster. By the way, I reboot after running CCIM in order to complete the reinstall of software inventory agent.
I needed to automate these steps. I used SMS Installer to accomplish this. In the script my command line for Cliutils looked like this:
Command Line=/KICK "Client Configuration Installation Manager"
Note* don't forget the quotes.
Client Utilities Syntax
CliUtils command parameter_list
- /kick component name
- Initiates the Start Cycle event for the specified client component.
- /start component name
- Initiates the Start event for the specified client component.
- /stop component name
- Initiates the Stop event for the specified client component.
- /sched schedule string
- Decodes the Schedule List string.
- Registers an application that the client launchers will start. After this command is issued, the Client Utilities tool prompts the user to enter information about how the application should be registered. To use this command-line option, you must understand the client launchers.
The parameters must be entered in as they are registered. You can see the proper program names in %win%\ms\sms\logs\smsclreg.log. The parameters that need to be used are in bold below.
- Clisvcl (Client Service NT)
- Is loaded on Windows NT clients and starts and monitors the state of all service-context SMS client components (those that run even when the user is logged off via NT services). This client component runs continually on all Windows NT clients. CCIM and Copy Queue run as threads of Client Service NT.
- Clisvc95 (Client Service 98/95)
- Is loaded on Windows 9x clients and starts and monitors the state of all service-context SMS client components (those that run even when the user is logged off). This client component runs continually on all Windows 98 and Windows 95 clients. CCIM and Copy Queue run as threads of Client Service 98/95.
- Ccim32 (Client Configuration Installation Manager)
- /This thread ensures that each client is correctly installed and assigned to the correct sites. As mentioned earlier, this client component also keeps the client data and the SMS site server data synchronized. CCIM runs as a thread of the SMS Client Service. This is the component that runs when you depress the Update Configuration button in Control Panel, Systems Management icon, Sites Tab.
- SMSapm32 (Available Programs Manager)
- Runs software on the client, including advertised programs. This client component also runs the installation programs for the optional SMS client components.
- SMSmon32 (Advertised Programs Monitor)
- This thread is responsible for executing the software distribution process on clients. This client component is installed only when the Advertised Programs Client Agent is enabled for the client.
- Hardware Inventory Agent (Hinv or Hinv32)
- This is the Hardware Inventory Client Agent executable. There are may steps to this process. The end result is a Initial, delta or complete inventory record.
- Software Inventory Agent (Sinv or Sinv32)
- This is the Software Inventory Client Agent
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...