Covalent Releases Apache Management Tool
The infrastructure overlay aims to offer improved manageability, security, and reliability.
With Web server growth outstripping IT staff growth in leaps and bounds (some figures estimate the growth rates to be as divergent as 2 percent per week vs. 5 percent per year, respectively), Scott Albrough, vice president of marketing for Covalent, told ServerWatch that Covalent believes the gap will be filled by management software apps.
Enterprise Ready Server is one such product. The server overlay is designed to do just what its name says -- provide an enterprise-ready management console for organizations looking to implement or more easily manage Apache 2.0.
Enterprise Ready Server is the first such management product for Apache to hit the market. It applies a one-to-many approach, allowing a system administrator to manage any number of servers from a browser-based interface at any location. Albrough notes that the average large enterprise has 350 Web servers. If these servers are running Apache, they must be managed individually. With Enterprise Ready Web Server, all of these servers can be configured, deployed, and monitored from a single, browser-based console.
Key features in Enterprise Ready Server include:
- A one-to-many management portal for configuring, managing, and monitoring hundreds of Apache servers and thousands of virtual hosts
- Comprehensive and programmatic authentication and authorization services for Apache
- Consolidated logging service over multiple servers and various types of content
- Covalent Management Console, which enables a system administrator to develop and configure a set of Apache packages to meet enterprise needs
- Multiprotocol content serving capabilities, including support for HTTP, HTTPS, and FTP, with shared services across all of those protocols
- Covalent Management Portal, a centralized management tool for deploying, configuring, controlling, and monitoring Apache Web servers and virtual hosts so that an administrator can manage, configure, and install hundreds of Web servers and virtual hosts in geographically dispersed data centers from a central location
- RSA B-safe libraries for SSL encryption
- Various authentication options, including ANON, DB, Oracle, LDAP, and NIS
- Logging services that provide a real-time, shared-infrastructure environment for monitoring and analyzing Web usage, ensuring data integrity across restarts and downtime, and enabling a system administrator to monitor and receive reports for multiserver environments, regardless of where the servers reside
Enterprise Ready Server also comes with the complete binary for Apache 2.0, Tomcat 4.0 Java server, Covalent User Tracking, Covalent Logging Services, Covalent Authorization and Authentication Services, Covalent SSL, Covalent FTP, Covalent SNMP, PHP, and mod_perl.
Enterprise Ready Server will initially ship on Solaris, Linux, HPUX and Windows. It is priced starting at $1,495 per CPU. Volume discounts are available.
IT Solutions Builder TOP IT RESOURCES TO MOVE YOUR BUSINESS FORWARD
Which topic are you interested in?
What is your company size?
What is your job title?
What is your job function?
Searching our resource database to find your matches...