- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
If you are using the SMSMAN executable to force your SMS client installations, you might run into some inconsistencies (then again, when don't you these days?)If you are using the SMSMAN executable to force your SMS client installations, you might run into some inconsistencies (then again, when don't you these days?) Recently, I was running through an installation of an SMS 2.0 SP2 environment in my lab and saw the following occur. I will step you through my installation, tell you the problem, and then share the resolution with you.
Recently, I was running through an installation of an SMS 2.0 SP2 environment in my lab and saw the following occur. I will step you through my installation, tell you the problem, and then share the resolution with you.
1. My tiny environment was built specifically to test something that required very little, so all I had was one server and two client machines. These machines are really old -- 120's with next to no RAM, but they serve their purpose.
2. I managed to get SMS installed correctly after stepping through my normal number of times saying, "shit, I forgot that..." when running into the requirements. You all know what I am talking about. I also got SQL 2000 loaded up on the machine.
3. I ran the minimal install for SMS and figured I'd add on as needed.
4. After ironing out some problems with communications and a wrinkle with the hub, I got the clients discovered using network discovery.
5. Now it was time to install my clients. I mapped to the server and navigated to the smsman.exe (which is very buried, by the way). I ran the exe and allowed the auto detection of the SMS server. It stepped through to the next screen and allowed me to perform the install. Great, right? Wrong. When I went to the "Components" on the client, there was nothing. So, it performed an install of basically the files, but none of the connectivity.
6. I went to the server and checked that I had enabled the Client components (advertised programs, etc) and all looked good. I thought that I had done everything right, and the exe was going through as if functioning, but I wasn't getting the components.
7. Finally, I checked the site properties and that was it, something so simple that I should have checked from the beginning. I would have expected a failure at the SMSMAN, but I did not get one. Anyway, once I defined my boundaries, I reran the SMSMAN and it went through correctly. The funny thing is that the SMSMAN processing looked exactly the same.
I just wanted to share this as I know that for a good deal of time I was banging my head against the wall on this one.
Tell me any stories like this experience of mine that you've had, and I'll post them (if they're good)...