Page Hit Counter System
by Bob Dombroski
I had a client that just wanted a simple report he could easily see in real time, that would show him only what he wanted to see. He had 5 requirements.
- How many hits total for any page and all pages.
- How many hits for any and all pages today.
- How many hits for any and all pages this month.
- How many users are currently browsing the site.
- The number of highest simultaneuos connections throughout the day.
I am sure there are many prepackaged solutions which may have worked, but the task is simple enough to code in ASP. I decided to use a database solution to track the hits.
The database table (Access Database) called hits
- page_name - text field max of 100 (contains the page name)
- total_hits - long (contains the total hits on page since its inception)
- day_hits - long (contains the total hits on page today)
- month_hits - long (contains the total hits on page this month)
- hit_date - Date/Time (the
date of the current day & month hits)
Pretty simple so far...and it doesn't get any harder!
I created an include file counter.inc which is included in every page I want counted. For my client, he did not want the adminstration pages to inflate his hit counts so the include file would not be within any of the admin pages.