- 1 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 2 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 3 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 4 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
- 5 Docker Reaches Across Universes at Dockercon EU
Refreshing and Updating Distribution Points
by Dana Daugherty
What's the difference between refreshing and updating distribution points? If you don't know, take a look at this article.Dana Daugherty's latest article discusses the difference between refreshing and updating distribution points from within the SMS Administrator Console.
Both of these tasks are options within any package tree. You can perform the tasks from several locations within the SMS Administrator Console. To see the best descriptions of these tasks:
- Open any package tree.
- Right click on the Distribution Points tree in the left pane.
- Select Manage Distribution Points. The Manage
Distribution Points Wizard will appear. The options we are interested in
- Refresh the package on selected distribution points.
- Update all distribution pints with a new package source version.
Updating distribution points includes these steps:
- Recopy the source files for a package to the compressed version located at the site where the package originated.
- Copy the source files to the local distribution points.
- Replicate the new compressed version to all child sites that are selected as distribution points for this package.
Refresh the package includes this step:
Replicate the existing compressed version of the source files to selected distribution points.
If you think about it, there is a very different result!