- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
On The Job: From Paper To Pro Page 7
Summary: You've Got the Paper to Prove It
You may rebel at the thought that you have to "play the game" to get the job of your dreams. You may wonder why you can't just bounce into the interview in cut-off jeans and a tank top, plop down and impress the interviewer with your brilliance, knowledge and skills. Maybe you can. Stranger things have happened.
But most employers do care about the image you project, and it's always better to err on the side of too professional than to appear to be not professional enough, if you want to convince a stranger that you've got more going for you than just a few pieces of paper.
Deb Shinderis an MCSE, certified trainer, and networking careers instructor and consultant. She and her husband, Dr. Thomas Shinder, operate their own business and have published numerous computer-related books and articles. Deb also worked for several years as a personnel director for a municipal government, and has participated on many hiring/interview boards and search committees. She has helped a great many MCSE candidates get the piece of paper, and watched them grow into true professionals.