- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
Does the App Server Market Still Exist? Page 6
By Jean-Christophe Cimetiere of TechMetrix Research
For the time being, ColdFusion offers considerable advantages in terms of simplicity and productivity.
PHP is a language designed for the creation of Web applications. Simple and powerful, PHP is an OSS project that is actively supported by Zend Technologies, a vendor that offers support and complementary products, such as Zend Cache (performance optimization), Zend Encoder (encrypt PHP Code), and Zend IDE. The challenge that lies ahead of the PHP writers -- and now also the founders of Zend -- is to find a solid niche in the market.
Enterprises tend to choose PHP in the following circumstances:
- They cannot, or will not, invest in the skills necessary to carry through Java projects.
- They do not want to be held hostage to Microsoft's proprietary technology.
- Because PHP is open source, initial acquisition costs are nonexistent!