- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
HDS Revamps Unified Compute Platform
Wait 18 months to test, move in and perform systems integration?
Ravi Chalaka, Vice President of Solutions Marketing at Hitachi Data Systems (HDS), says businesses increasingly "want it done in less than a week." So his company has done the bulk of the prep work and cobbled together hardware and software for pre-configured and pre-validated solutions that allow IT shops to hit the ground running, according to Chalaka.
The HDS UCP line consists of two branches, Pro and Select. UCS Pro is a pre-configured, fully integrated solution that includes Hitachi's Compute Blade 500 server, Brocade Fibre Channel (FC) and Ethernet fabric switches, and Hitachi's flagship storage line, Virtual Storage Platform (VSP).
The company's initial Pro configuration is UCP Pro for VMware vSphere. As its branding suggests, the offering stitches together Hitachi's compute and storage components and Brocade's networking with a tightly integrated combination of VMware vSphere and HDS UCP Director management software.
UCP Director provides monitoring, management and orchestration over both physical infrastructure and virtual servers. The software's hooks for VMware vCenter Server allow administrators to manage the entire stack and automate tasks from one interface without invoking disparate management dashboards -- a huge time-saver, informs Chalaka.
Flexibility is the basis of Hitachi's UCP Select line. Unlike UCS Pro, Select reference systems offer a wider variety of configurations. These include HDS or Cisco blade server options, Brocade or Cisco switches, and support for VMware vSphere, Microsoft Hyper-V or flat out bare metal.
Despite its mix-and-match core, the UCP Select product line is not a "free for all" — UCP Select systems are tested and certified for major application platforms.
- UCP Select for Citrix Xen Desktop
- UCP Select for Microsoft Exchange 2010
- UCP Select for Microsoft Private Cloud
- UCP Select for Microsoft SQL Server 2008
- UCP Select for Microsoft SQL Server 2012
- UCP Select for Oracle Database
- UCP Select for VMware View
- UCP Select for VMware vSphere
- UCP Select for VMware vSphere with Cisco UCS servers
Hitachi is also targeting the burgeoning in-memory Big Data analytics market with UCP Select for SAP HANA. In recent weeks, industry heavyweights like Cisco, HP and IBMhave all unveiled solutions for the business software maker's in-memory analytics platform.
Read more on "Server Hardware Spotlight" »