- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
VMware Ships Next-Gen ESX Server, P2V Assistant
ESX Server is VMware's high-end virtual machine software designed for demanding production environments.
The key new addition to ESX Server is VMware Virtual SMP, a complimentary addtion that enables a single virtual machine to span two processors (up to 80 active virtual machines) to share the workload of resource-intensive applications and tasks running in a virtual machine.
Control Center uses VMware's VMotion technology to enable live, stateful applications to be moved across distributed systems without service interruption, lost data, or lost transactions, thus making it possible for enterprises to manage distributed, heterogeneous computing environments as a single pool of hardware resources.
Other new and enhanced features in ESX Server 2 include:
- Automatic optimization memory locality
- NIC teaming
- An advanced file system that provides greater availability features and support for large storage configurations
- A new management user interface
- Resource controls to enable the administrator to specify minimum and maximum percentages of each CPU to allocate per virtual machine from the user interface
- Support for COM APIs and a virtual LSI SCSI adapter to simplify the Windows 2003 installation process
- Built-in SAN path failover support
In addition, VMware claims ESX Server 2 as the first virtual server to support blade servers. The server works with HP ProLiant BL20p and IBM BladeCenter blades.
P2V Assistant Begins Shipping
VMware also unveiled VMware P2V Assistant Monday.
P2V Assistant is a migration tool that captures an existing physical system and moves it into a VMware virtual machine.
P2V Assistant does this by taking a snapshot of an existing physical system and transforming it into a VMware virtual machine, thus eliminating the need to reinstall and reconfigure application environments.
VMware has positioned P2V Assistant as the ideal solution for speeding up the server consolidation process (especially when migrating legacy systems onto newer hardware) and for debugging production systems and disaster recovery.
Virtual machines created by P2V Assistant can run on ESX Server, GSX Server, and VMware Workstation.
Despite its recent release, P2V Assistant already claims 100 customers, including Giant Eagle, Guardian Life, MassMutual, McKesson, Novartis, PACCAR, Praxair, Saks, The Coleman Company, and Volvo.
ESX Server 2, Virtual SMP, and P2V Assistant are available for immediate purchase and shipping. ESX Server 2 is priced starting at $3,750 for a 2-CPU machine. Pricing for Virtual SMP is $1,250 for a 2-CPU machine. Pricing details for P2V Assistant can be obtained from VMware.