- 1 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 2 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 3 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 4 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
- 5 Docker Reaches Across Universes at Dockercon EU
Microsoft Ups Security for ISA, Exchange Servers With Release of Feature Pack
Microsoft Tuesday released the Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server 2000 Feature Pack 1, an add-on module for ISA Server designed to defend against evolving threats for ISA and Exchange server users.Microsoft Tuesday released the Microsoft ISA Server 2000 Feature Pack 1, an add-on module for ISA Server designed to defend against evolving threats for ISA and Exchange server users.
The feature pack includes new application-layer firewall defenses and security enhancements for enterprises using Exchange server, including Outlook Web Access (OWA), and enterprises that have deployed Internet Information Services (IIS). It also supports RSA Security's RSA SecurID two-factor authentication solution.
Craig Fiebig, general manager of the Security Business Unit at Microsoft notes, "The combination of ISA Server and Feature Pack 1 helps increase the security of Exchange Server and IIS deployments even when they are already protected by a traditional firewall product."
The feature pack offers security features and deployment wizards designed to help deliver tightly integrated security while simplifying the configuration of Exchange Server and IIS installations.
Other new features bundled to help improve the security of Exchange and Web servers include enhanced SMTP filtering technology to boost e-mail security by rejecting unwanted messages and integrated URLScan to help defend networks from evolving Internet attacks. Scenario walkthroughs, technical documentation, and wizards that address commonly asked questions to simplify the server configuration process are also included.
"As Internet-based attacks continue to gain complexity, it's important for a security product like ISA Server to adapt and address the changing landscape," said Charles Kolodgy, research manager at IDC Corp. "ISA Server Feature Pack 1 offers strong and focused functionality that help add security to Exchange and Outlook Web Access deployments while maintaining application integrity and performance."
Microsoft cited the three main benefits and scenarios for which it believes ISA Server Feature Pack 1 is best-suited:
- Improved security for Exchange Server deployments due to an enhanced SMTP filter that screens e-mail based on sender, domain, keyword, attachment name, extension, or size, as well as any SMTP command and its length with increased security and stability
- Increased security for Web and OWA server installations due to integration with RSA Security's two-factor user authentication technology, RSA SecurID software, as well as new delegation functionality for RSA SecurID and basic authentication
- Improved ease of use for administrators via an Outlook Web Access wizard; an RPC Filter Configuration wizard; a link translator, which eliminates the need to re-architect intranet Web sites when making them available on the Internet; and new scenario walkthroughs and troubleshooting documentation that support easy configuration and maintenance of Exchange Server and IIS deployments
The ISA Server Feature Pack 1 is available for download from Microsoft's Web site.