- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
Virtuozzo Gets Big Blue's Seal of Approval
SWsoft's Virtuozzo was deemed ServerProven certified by IBM this week after concluding a series of tests at IBM's SPC Center in San Mateo, Calif.SWsoft's Virtuozzo was deemed ServerProven certified by IBM this week after concluding a series of tests at IBM's SPC Center in San Mateo, Calif.
The testing, performed on IBM's eServer xSeries 370, found:
- Up to 2,500 virtual partitions could be run on a single system
- A single Virtuozzo virtual environment can scale to 64 GB memory and 16 CPUs
- Intel Hyper-Threading technology increased performance up to 20 percent
- Virtuozzo allows a single xSeries server to support more than 20 instances of IBM DB2 database software
- Virtuozzo consumes less than 1 percent of total system overhead per server, if running one or more than 1,000 partitions
Based on these results, Virtuozzo 2.5 is considered validated and optimized under the IBM ServerProven program to run across the xSeries line, and the two vendors will work together to integrate Virtuozzo's server virtualization technology into IBM's eServer xSeries 300 product line.
Virtuozzo virtualizes the Linux operating system on Intel processor-based servers, enabling enterprises to partition a system into isolated compartments -- called Virtual Environments -- that function like stand-alone servers.
SWsoft is the second virtual server vendor with which Big Blue is working. VMware's ESX Server has been certified ServerProven since December 2001.
"Virtualizing server technology is a cost-effective way to reduce the number of servers companies have to manage," said Carol Carson, Director Marketing and Sales, IBM Linux Servers. "In combination with our larger eServer xSeries systems, this new technology from SWsoft offers customers the possibility to grow their business."