- 1 Hyper-V 2012 R2: Pros and Cons of Generation 1 vs. Generation 2 VMs
- 2 Harnessing the Power of Hyper-V Network Virtual Switches
- 3 Working with SSH and Secure FTP Servers in Windows
- 4 Discover Windows 8's Hidden Server Features
- 5 Server Virtualization Customer Reviews: VMware, Hyper-V, XenServer and More
Softek Launches An Automated Windowless Backup and Recovery Solution
Softek, a provider of storage management software, announced availability of its windowless backup and recovery solution for open systems and mainframe environments that operates across direct attached storage (DAS), network attached storage (NAS), and storage area networks (SAN). The Softek Windowless Backup and Recovery Solution is designed to automate data storage management processes associated with traditional backup to eliminate an enterprises' backup window, which may improve the probability of achieving complete data recovery in the event of a system failure.
The Softek Windowless Backup and Recovery Solution is designed to automate data storage management processes associated with traditional backup to eliminate an enterprises' backup window. According to the company, this will improve the probability of achieving a complete data recovery in the event of a system failure. A backup "window" is the period of time, typically ranging from one to eight hours, in which applications are unavailable because server and network resources must be shut down to maintain the integrity and reliability of the backup.
The company says that its Softek Windowless Backup and Recovery Solution eliminates application downtime by establishing automated windowless backup processes in which an enterprises' existing backup software is integrated with Softek Storage Manager software, thereby establishing a true multi-vendor windowless backup for both SAN and DAS environments.
The Softek Solution operates across Solaris, AIX, HP/UX, Windows, and OS/390 operating systems and supports integration with the leading data management software vendors, including Veritas' Netbackup, Legato's Networker and IBM/Tivoli's TSM. Direct support is also provided for business critical applications, such as Oracle databases, Exchange servers, and SQL Servers.
Business benefits of the Softek Windowless Backup and Recovery Solution that the vendor claims include:
- Maximum application uptime: Users never experience a service interruption due to application shut down during the backup window period
- Recovery speed and reliability: Faster and more predictable data recovery in the event a restoration is needed
- Simplification: Reducing errors related with coordinating and scheduling backups
- Faster network performance: Creates serverless and LANless backups since backup is removed from the application server and LAN workload is moved to the SAN fabric
- Cost savings: Reduction of required data management software licenses needed across the network