Funk Software Unveils Complete Suite of WLAN Security Solutions
Funk Software announced Steel-Belted Radius v4.0, a new version of the company's RADIUS servers that add WLAN security, management, and integration to meet enterprise-level security and management requirements, and form a suite of WLAN security products. A new version of Steel-Belted Radius may meet WLAN security and manageability requirements for enterprises of all sizes
Steel-Belted Radius is based on the IEEE security standard 802.1x, and supports WLAN security protocols that provide data privacy and credential security over the wireless link, plus mutual authentication of client and server. It is designed to integrate into a network and permit secure authentication of WLAN users against an existing authentication scheme.
Steel-Belted Radius v4.0 may be appropriate for larger organizations that need to authenticate WLAN users and/or wish to integrate remote access and WLAN user management and security. In addition, the company's Odyssey Server should be able to communicate with Steel-Belted Radius to authenticate WLAN users in branch offices or distributed departments against a central security infrastructure.
According to the company, Odyssey Server offers enterprises:
- WLAN security, based on the WLAN security protocols EAP-TTLS and EAP-TLS, which protect credentials over the wireless link, to prevent cryptographic attack on password; distribute per-session 128-bit encryption keys, and re-key at specified intervals, to provide data privacy; and support mutual authentication of client and server, to prevent unauthorized access and connection spoofing.
- Easy management with EAP-TTLS, which should allow seamless integration of WLAN user management and security into an enterprise's existing authentication scheme.
- Scalability - Both solutions are based on the IEEE security standard 802.1x, a scalable architecture that should easily and cost-effectively accommodate network growth.
- Standards-based, interoperable architecture - Steel-Belted Radius supports the IEEE WLAN security standard 802.1X, Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP), and EAP authentication protocols EAP-TTLS, EAP-TLS, and Cisco's EAP-LEAP.
- Multi-vendor support - Steel-Belted Radius supports 802.1x-compatible WLAN access points, including those from Agere, Avaya, Cisco, Enterasys, Intermec, Proxim, and Symbol.
Steel-Belted Radius v4.0 adds support for EAP-TTLS, the innovative security protocol which authenticates WLAN users against existing authentication databases, and distributes per-session 128-bit encryption keys to ensure data privacy. Steel-Belted Radius v4.0 also adds support for EAP-TLS, a certificate-based WLAN security protocol in use by enterprises who have deployed a PKI infrastructure.
Steel-Belted Radius/Global Enterprise Edition, targeted at organizations managing non-Windows authentication schemes and/or remote access users on networks located at multiple sites where sophisticated distribution of authentication requests and accounting messages is required, contains equivalent WLAN security functionality as Steel-Belted Radius/Enterprise Edition, and supports advanced reliability, proxy RADIUS, and accounting capabilities, and integrates easily into an SNMP-based management system. It runs on Solaris and Windows XP/2000/NT and supports the WLAN security protocols EAP-TTLS, EAP-TLS, LEAP, and MD-5.
Steel-Belted Radius v4.0 is available immediately directly from Funk Software as well as through local system integrators and VARs. Steel-Belted Radius/Enterprise Edition costs $4,000; Steel-Belted Radius/Global Enterprise Edition costs $10,000.