- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
Sendmail Enters the Collaborative Apps Arena
Sendmail Monday released Sendmail Calendar Server, a groupware offering designed to provide enterprises and service providers with cost-effective, advanced calendaring and scheduling technologies that scale with an organization's needs.
Part of Sendmail's Integrated Mail Suite, Sendmail Calendar Server offers calendaring, scheduling, task and contact management, and productivity capabilities.Sendmail Monday released Sendmail Calendar Server, a groupware offering designed to provide enterprises and service providers with cost-effective, advanced calendaring and scheduling technologies that scale with an organization's needs.
Sendmail describes the offering as a carrier-class, user-centric Web and wireless solution that enables users to access and manage personal calendars and group schedules from anywhere at any time.
Available immediately, the server is Sendmail's first foray into the growing collaborative application market.
"Calendaring and scheduling are the most widely used collaborative functions next to e-mail," said Wiley Hodges, Director of Groupware Business at Sendmail, "Adding these functions to our product line is a natural progression for Sendmail, Inc. given our already established leadership in the e-mail market."
The Sendmail Calendar Server offers both Web and wireless access. Developed using industry standards, the server supports XML, LDAP, and SMS as well as standard Internet protocols.
The Sendmail Calendar Server enables customization, integration, and extensibility so organizations can integrate with other collaborative applications or create custom applications to meet specific business needs.
The server key features are:
- Wireless access to real-time appointments, tasks, and contacts via WAP and i-mode
- The capability to synchronize appointments, tasks, and contacts with a variety of desktop and handheld personal information managers
- Scheduling-conflict resolution with the capability to view other users' free and busy times while updating information in real time to maintain appointments
Other features include multiple personal, group, and public calendars; time zone conversions; Microsoft Outlook and personal information manager synchronization; personal task lists and task assignments; and list support.
Architectural benefits cited by Sendmail include a template engine that enables rapid customization of the user interface, localization capabilities for European or Asian languages, and full-featured administration to manage multiple domains on a single server.
Sendmail Calendar Server runs on any Sun Server running Solaris 8 and also requires Oracle 8i Enterprise Server (v8.1.7 or higher) to be running.
Sendmail Calendar Server is available immediately. Pricing is set on a per-user basis.