- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
Presenting Red Hat Linux 7.2
Red Hat, Inc. Monday released Red Hat Linux 7.2 and Red Hat Linux Professional, making them available in stores, through computer resellers, and direct from Red Hat. The products will also be distributed through hardware partners in the coming weeks.
The latest version of the commercial Linux solution offers a variety of new capabilities for workstations and servers.Red Hat, Inc. Monday released Red Hat Linux 7.2 and Red Hat Linux Professional, making them available in stores, through computer resellers, and direct from Red Hat. The products will also be distributed through hardware partners in the coming weeks.
Key features in v7.2 designed to enhance the viability and value of the Linux OS as a server in the corporate environment are: the addition of the 2.4.7 Linux kernel for increased scalability; the Ext3 Journaling file system for data reliability; network configuration, user management, and hardware viewing tools for infrastructure and development; and firewall configuration capabilities during installation.
"We are pleased that for the first time in the open source space, Red Hat Linux 7.2 will provide both developers and customers a unified code base for a full spectrum of computing platforms, from small, embedded devices up to the largest mainframe computers," said Paul Cormier, executive vice president of engineering for Red Hat.
New features in the Red Hat Linux 7.2 workstation product include:
- improved USB support
- Nautilus file manager
- Mozilla Web browser
- The latest versions of the GNOME and KDE desktop environments
- Office applications (e.g., a full version of Sun StarOffice 5.2)
- A printed installation guide and extensive Linux documentation
- C, C++, Java, and other compilers as well as Python, Perl, and PHP interpreters
- Complete Web, file, mail, name, FTP, and print servers
- 30 days of Web-based support
- A 30-day subscription of Red Hat Network Software Manager for one system
Red Hat Linux Professional includes everything in Red Hat Linux 7.2, along with:
- A printed customization guide
- A Web server applications CD with application development tools and interchange e-commerce package
- Workstation applications CD with full Adobe Acrobat, IBM Java Run Time Environment, and other applications
- System administrator CD
- 60 days of Web-based support
- 60 days of telephone-based support, including two incidents
- A 180-day subscription of Red Hat Network Software Manager for one system
Red Hat discussed plans to announce an advanced server version of Red Hat Linux v7.2 with a Linux kernel specifically compiled for data center deployments, including full support for UP through 8-way SMP systems.
Also scheduled for a later release is a version of Red Hat Linux for IBM''s S/390 mainframe. This customized version will include the 2.4 kernel, development libraries, and S/390-specific tools and utilities for installation natively or as VM guests. Red Hat will offer a complete set of support and professional services for both products, including software maintenance, technical support, consulting, deployment, integration, training, and custom development services.
Red Hat Linux 7.2 is priced at $59.95; Red Hat Linux Professional is priced at $199.95. Pricing for the other products will be announced as they become available.