- 1 Vapor IO Brings OpenDCRE to General Availability
- 2 VMware Takes the Wraps Off vRealize Automation and vRealize Business
- 3 Microsoft Previews Hyper-V Containers for Windows Server 2016
- 4 Mirantis Led FUEL Project Gets Installed Under OpenStack Big Tent
- 5 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Adds Security, DR Features
Sun aligns several software brands under Sun One name
Sun Microsystems announced it will rebrand its iPlanet, Forte, StarOffice and Chili!Soft product lines under their Sun ONE (Open Net Environment) brand. Sun ONE helps developers and end-users by providing open specifications and standards-based methods for web services. Sun is committed to multi-platform support for the Sun ONE products. More information on Sun ONE is available at www.sun.com/sunone/.
"This rebranding is the culmination of what we've been successfully doing for the last several years -- delivering best-of-breed and integrated product solutions for the enterprise," said Marge Breya, vice president, Sun ONE. "It's time for our software brand to reflect what our customers already know; there is no more complete, secure and productive platform for making the net work than Sun ONE." Simplified branding program unifies iPlanet, Forte, StarOffice and Chili!Soft software portfolio: It's time for our software brand to reflect what our customers already know; there is no more complete, secure and productive platform for making the net work than Sun ONE.
A partial list of products being rebranded to the Sun ONE product name is as follows:
- Sun ONE Active Server Pages -- Formerly Chili!Soft ASP, consisting of ASP software that allows developers to create cross-platform Web applications using their existing ASP skill sets.
- StarOffice 6.0 Office Suite -- A Sun ONE Software Offering -- Sun's productivity suite that includes word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications. The 6.0 version will be available in May 2002.
- Sun ONE Web Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Web Server, which powers large-scale mission-critical Web sites, has set multiple performance records, and runs more than 50 percent of the Fortune 100 Web sites.
- Sun ONE Messaging Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Messaging Server, which scales to 10 million seats out-of-the-box and holds the number one market share position for service providers with more than 200 million mailboxes sold.
- Sun ONE Portal Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Portal Server, which has the services enterprises and service providers needed to deploy B2E, B2C and B2B portals quickly and drives more than 350 portal deployments. Radicati Group named it the market share leader in 2002.
- Sun ONE Application Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Application Server, Sun's enterprise development and deployment platform, which powers the world's largest transactional Web sites.
- Sun ONE Directory Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Directory Server, the market share leader for carrier, enterprise and meta directories which has sold over 750 million licenses.
- Sun ONE Identity Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Directory Server, Access Management Edition, which helps organizations manage secure access to Web-based resources through an identity system that includes access management, identity administration, and directory services.
- Sun ONE Calendar Server -- Formerly the iPlanet Calendar Server, a Web-based solution for personal and organizational calendaring and scheduling which has sold more than 92 million seats.
- Sun ONE Integration Server -- Formerly iPlanet Integration Server, which enables business-to-business and enterprise application integration and has more than 500 enterprise customers worldwide.
- Sun ONE Studio -- Formerly Forte Tools For Java, Sun's Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for developers wishing to deploy components and services on the Sun ONE platform.