- 1 Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.2 Enters Beta with Improved Container Support
- 2 VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger Gives VMworld 5 Imperatives for Success
- 3 VMware vSphere Integrated Containers Previewed at VMworld
- 4 Worldwide Server Revenues Top $13.5 Billion in 2Q15
- 5 Blue Box OpenStack Lands on IBM Softlayer Servers
Sun Releases Solaris 9 for Early Access Page 2
Pricing for Solaris 9 has not been finalized, as Sun officials contemplate a change in the pricing structure. Currently Solaris upgrades are covered under some Solaris support contracts.
Initially Solaris 9 will be available only for SPARC-based Sun servers, as there are no current plans to release Solaris 9 for Intel-based servers. While Sun will still support Solaris 8 on Intel for the remainder of Solaris 8's life (which should be two more years), Moffitt says that Intel development doesn't fit within Sun's core business. If there is customer demand for Solaris 9 on Intel -- and there is little demand at the present time, Moffitt hinted -- Sun could initialize development.